Helping patients live healthy and pain-free lives.
What is Regenerative Medicine?
Regenerative medicine seeks to support and promote the body’s natural healing properties to bring the patient back to a state of wellness. As the name implies, the goal is to help your body regenerate and heal itself rather than rely on invasive surgeries and addictive pain medications.
Southwest Family Medical employs several regenerative therapies available today, including platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections and stem cell therapy. Eventually, researchers expect regenerative medicine will allow people to replace damaged tissue and even organs.
The Benefits of Regenerative Medicine
Regenerative medicine therapies are non-invasive, allowing patients to avoid the risk, long recovery times, and pain associated with surgical interventions. Additional benefits of regenerative medicine include:
- Faster healing: Regenerative medicine boosts and speeds up your body’s natural healing capabilities by concentrating treatment directly into the affected area. Compared to traditional methods, healing is faster and more complete.
- Natural pain relief: Chronic pain is debilitating. Left untreated, patients may experience depression and a reduced quality of life. But prescription pain medications are dangerously addictive while over-the-counter varieties aren’t particularly effective at managing the pain from arthritis, sciatica, and more. Regenerative therapies treat the source of your pain to reduce inflammation safely, without introducing any foreign substances into your body.
- Stronger, healthier tissues: Regenerative therapies suffuse damaged tissues with fresh, healthy, new cells. Bones, muscles, skin, and tendons become stronger and healthier for greater overall health.
Types of Regenerative Medicine Therapies
Regenerative medicine includes a variety of non-surgical therapies to harness the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
- OrthoBiologics: Also known as amniotic allograft, this treatment uses substances found naturally in the body to heal bone fractures and soft tissue injuries to muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections: The patient’s own platelets are injected into the injured area to improve a variety of musculoskeletal injuries.
- Prolotherapy: Also known as proliferation therapy, this treatment promotes natural healing for damaged ligaments and tendons.
- Stem cell therapy: The potential of stem cell therapy is practically endless, with researchers using them to create actual beating heart tissue and grow new organs. At SW Family Medical, we can treat a variety of joint, bone, and soft tissue injuries with stem cell therapy.
- Viscosupplementation: These hyaluronic acid injections are excellent for treating arthritis, particularly in the knee.
Conditions We Can Treat with Regenerative Medicine
Southwest Family Medical treats a variety of conditions using regenerative medicine therapies, including:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Joint pain
- Lower back pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sports injuries
- Tendon and ligament injuries
Regenerative Medicine is FDA approved for orthopedic and sports medicine related injuries, but there are ongoing clinical trials looking into the treatment of some previously untreatable conditions like: Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Heart disease, Diabetes, Autism, and many more.
To learn more about how regenerative medicine and therapies can help you enjoy a healthy, pain-free life, please call our office today.